Monday, November 21, 2016

Caliber? Magazine capacity? How about shot placement?


So, Which caliber is the best? Shall a person go for the biggest caliber they can handle? The smallest mouse gun for that deep concealment? Maybe the real question is can you hit the broad side of a barn with that caliber and size of pistol. What good does it do the Everyday Carrier if they cannot mitigate recoil? What good is it if the Everyday Carrier can't even hold the gun comfortable enough to have confidence in their shots? These are just some of the things we do not consider when we decide to carry.

If you are anything like me, when I started my venture I had no clue what I was doing. Even though I had my first rifle very young. My father and I shot as much as time permitted. But it wasn't until I had children of my own that I truly became aware of more than just point, shoot. At the tender age of 14 I was hit by a ricochet 7x57 Mauser bullet, In the face. Yes that is probably why I am only handsome to those that are blind. But with that became an irrational fear of firearms. It wasn't until 10 years later that I picked up another firearm. Now, you cannot get me to put one down. Recoil, report, and the idea that maybe, just maybe that firearm could come to life and fire on it's own. I blame my good friend Dave for getting me back into the world of firearms.

What does this story have to do with shot placement? It all boils down to us. We have become our own worst enemy. Either intimidated by an inanimate object, or overly confident in what we have decided to be truth in our own minds. The rhetoric that if you can't shoot anything in eight shots or less you shouldn't carry a gun. Tell that to our Law Enforcement and Military. I am sure a few of those guys have a few words for you. The idea that you can only carry the small gun because you are afraid of recoil. Surprise! smaller guns equal MORE recoil. regardless of caliber, simple science. That a .22 is just as effective as a center fire cartridge. Ask the F.B.I. ballisticians about that one. That a larger caliber is the only way to go. The recovery time getting the sights back on target for that follow up shot is reduced, not to mention limited round count in the EDC Pistol.

If you plan to carry, practice as you would in a fight or flight scenario. Using target ammo that does not mimic what you carry is going to give you a big surprise in the event you need to deploy your EDC. Training for that shot placement is just as vital as being comfortable with the firearm you have choose to carry. Center mass of course is the best course of action, but what if that is not a viable target? The groin is a good choice, or ahem, the head. Training in that moment for that moment is what is needed.

The question still remains, Which Caliber and pistol is right for you? the answer is simple. The one that fits your hand. The one you can mitigate recoil with enough speed that the follow up shots are fast and consistent. The one that holds enough rounds to get the job done. And the one that has as few buttons, levers and boogaloo to operate in order to be faster than the bad guy. But I will tell you this, I run a Glock 19 in 9mm as an EDC. My reasoning for this is, it is simple in design, holds the maximum number of rounds in the smallest package I wish to carry. With no other buttons to use save the magazine release. Being left handed, it works and it exceeds the position I place it in.

 Do not think that what you have in your mind for EDC is correct for you because it's the fanciest one of the bunch. Research, Learn, expand your knowledge of what is fitting for your needs and train it. If you decide the large caliber, minimum round mag capacity is right, you best be prepared to carry more mags than the other guy and learn to run those mag drills quick and efficiently under stress. if you decide on the small caliber mouse gun. You best know the pistols limitations and what distance that pistol is effective at. Either way you must know the limitations of the caliber and ammunition you decide to carry. Again, research and find what is the best for your situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment